Saturday, November 19, 2011

Back in the Saddle Again


Well, I’m climbing back into the saddle both with this blog and my writing.
I have decided to start over with my blog, hoping to make it more about my adventures in college and my writing of course.

In September (I think) I finished my Revolutionary War story entitled The Tory’s Daughter. I have received lots of advice on it, and am in the process of getting it revised by beta readers and the good folks of Absolute Writer Water Cooler.

Now, I am starting to write my Civil War Story entitled Yankee Belle. However, I’m having some trouble.

When I wrote the opening scene of The Tory’s Daughter, everything flowed so naturally. I believe I wrote around 2,000 words in one sitting. It was perfect—well not perfect, but everything seemed to just come together so nicely.

Yet, I am having trouble with Yankee Belle. I only wrote up to 600 words when I first started out. I took a break, and then wrote an additional 300. I think it works well, but I am afraid I’m having trouble getting back into the writing game.

I woke up this morning hoping that maybe I was just a little rusty, but I have only managed to crank out 119 words. I know what I want to say and what happens next, I just don’t know how to say it.

Does anyone else have this problem?
I surely hope it isn't long term.

Sincerely,
Sarah

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on The Tory's Daughter! Hope everything goes well with the betas.

    The slow writing... it happens. I always found the first draft the hardest and have given up on a few in the past. That's why I joined NaNo this year - to learn how to just write and try not to think about the words too much.

    My advice... just write. I know that's what your struggling with but it might help to just focus on getting the story out, knowing your first draft is going to be quite rough around the edges. Once you have that story out there, you might find it easier to edit and put in the words that feel and sound better now that your focusing on what you're writing.

    But don't worry about 119 words. That's still something and a word count that's only in the hundreds is good for the day. :)

    Good luck with your blog. God knows how many times I've re-started mine haha! I plan to keep this new one though - will make it a New Years Resolution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on already finishing drafting an entire novel (I hope you pat yourself on the back because it IS an accomplishment).

    Now for the second one, whatever how many words you are writing, it is going towards your goal :-) Have you tried outlining? Maybe it would help if you´re not sure how to go about the scene or the story. I usually never plot but when I was going through a rough writing patch, I did jump the gun and wrote a much later scene. It helped me to re-start...

    Good luck on the blog as well :-) I started mine only recently (even created a Twitter account :-)) and I´m enjoying it so far...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll have that occasionally. But no fear. As long as you're getting something down on paper, you're getting there.

    ReplyDelete