Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Historical Fiction Market

I have finished writing The Tory's Daughter and making numerous revisions on it while I'm ankle-deep in writing Yankee Belle.

I've had a few people say--well, mainly one--that the historical fiction market isn't really selling well. I wrote a thread about it on Aboslute Writer Water Cooler, but was a little confused by some of the responses.

Is historical fiction not selling well? Everytime I go into a bookstore, there seems to be a new historical fiction book with the words New York Times Bestseller printed on top of the cover. So naturally, I'm a little unsure of what to believe. It seems to be selling well, but now people are saying that it's not.

Can anyone tell me what's going on? Also, is anyone else writing in a genre that might not necessarily be "hot?"

Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Would that one person be me? :-)

    You might want to check out this recent article on the state of historical fiction:

    http://www.ebscohost.com/novelist/novelist-special/historical-fiction-the-state-of-the-genre

    It won't necessarily answer your question but it is interesting. I think more and more American historicals are starting to be published, so hang in there. I would keep an eye out on blogs that discuss upcoming historical releases. This one is great:

    http://shelfandstuff.blogspot.com/

    Hang in there. It's only getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for all of your help. I apperciate all of the advice you gave me. Thanks.

    I'll read these.

    ReplyDelete